Monday, January 12, 2009

Thoughts about the menu plan & saving money

So I am realizing that planning meals the way I have been is not really saving me money. I had an idea - assign a type of food to each night, based on what I have in the freezer/pantry, and then work with what I have for those nights, instead of the other way around - working from a recipe and having to buy a bunch of new stuff. This weekend I got a case of kidney and pinto beans for 44 cents a can!! And a case of vegetable broth, also for 44 cents a can. I also have about 3 pounds of ground beef I got at $1.97/pound last week and a bunch of chicken breasts that were $1.77/pound last week. So that's what's in the freezer/fridge/pantry, and that's what I'm working with. Since we had the stomach flu last week and didn't stick to the menu plan (just had noodles pretty much all week!), I do still have the ingredients for a couple of the recipes, so they will be in this week's plan again.

Here is my plan for assigning a type of food to each day:

Monday - Beans
Tuesday - Chicken
Wednesday - Veggies
Thursday - Pasta
Friday - Ground Beef
Weekend - Leftovers (or grilled cheese, mac & cheese - easy stuff!)

No comments:

Post a Comment